Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

Re: Re: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going o

Quote Originally Posted by mlott132
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingray2182
    Who doesn't like juicy substrate lol!
    You had to go there didn't you.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Oh come on you thought it too
    Stay Salty

Re: Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

Are you sure it is fully established, cycled, it seems in aquariums that are not 100% cycled, any plants (macros) added seem to die. i'd check ammonia and nitrite also just to be safe.

If you don't have a full kit i can definitely lend you test kits. (phosphate, potassium, nitrite, ammonia, magnesium, etc. )

Thanks a lot guys!

Aspidochelone I swear it's been up for 2- 3 years! XD I should steal your kits anyways, I need to test again since I added two more angelfish. PS the frag fest was so great! I'm glad I'm a member I would love to go to more events like that! Beautiful corals!

I don't have any different substrate but sand- is it better to purchase liquid fertilizer or tabs or just add some special substrate which I can totally get for the 60 but the one that is at my pet store is black or brown and I also wanted to plant the 20- which has white sand. So how would I "juicify" the substrate there? I may just get tabs for that one and add some mineralized/ fertilized gravel to the large tank.

did you happen to put any antibiotics or any chemical in your aquarium in the past couple months/year? (just trying to narrow it down)

If not then it really might be that you have low nutrient levels, (it is always good to narrow the possibilities before you start to jump to conclusions) you might start to spend all this money and then figure out it was something else causing your problem.

If you bring some of your aquarium water to me, i can test it for you to see if there are any nutrient deficiencies or anything else. (You know where to find me)

Administrator

Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

I would try bill's recipe for substrate. Sand is not really suitable for freshwater plants since they get a lit of their nutrients from roots (exceptions would be duckweed, et al)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    240g FOWLR - complete!, WIP 125g reef/inverts, WIP 30g/20g mantis.

I have! One of my new platies had a fungal infection after quarantine, and I treated the tank with Maracyn, I think it was called. It was supposed to be a bacterial/ fungal remedy and it worked well but that was pretty recent in comparison to the last time I had plants. I think I'm going to get that substrate soon when I get out.

Administrator

Plants keep dying! Established tank, what's going on?

The good news is that unlike saltwater substrate - you can generally find good stuff for freshwater planted for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    240g FOWLR - complete!, WIP 125g reef/inverts, WIP 30g/20g mantis.